Thursday, April 11, 2013

Carla's Favorite Blogs

When news came out a few weeks ago that Google Reader was shutting down in July, I was so mad I couldn't speak (I could, however, shame-email my Google employee friend in ALL CAPS and commiserate with equally irritated Facebook friends).  I was a long-time user of Bloglines, which informed me several times over the years that it was moments away from shutting down (and... never did? I'm not sure). They played with my emotions for too long and eventually I gave up and moved to Google Reader several years ago.

The options to switch to a new reader aren't that great so far, in my opinion.  Feedly seems ok, but it's an extension as opposed to a site that I can log into from any computer.  Bloglovin won't let me use folders.  The Old Reader seems promising in that it minimizes CHANGE (BONUS), except it only allows me to transfer 1,000 items from Google Reader.

HA.  HAAAA.

And therein lies the problem: I subscribe to roughly 1300 feeds.

I think you'll agree that there's some challenge involved in paring down a list of that size to a manageable post of favorites.  This may need to become a regular feature since I'm constantly finding new loves, but here's what I've come up with so far (in no particular order):

Recipes and Food:

Honest Cooking: Like Alyssa's suggestion of Punk Domestics earlier in the week, this blog is more of a compilation of recipes, travel reviews and food news.  I love them for their information, variety and inclusion of cocktails.
Simply Recipes: This blog has been around for years- initially they posted old school recipes, but now a lot of their recipes are new inventions.  A WONDERFUL searchable database for classic, easy, homey food.
The Amateur Gourmet: A delightful mixture of posts about food, recipes, how-tos and a heavy dose of wit.  
Love and Olive Oil: Lots of baking recipes, but when they post a savory treat I feel like they come up with lots of flavors that are tailored RIGHT to what I love.
Lottie and Doof: Mostly recipes.  Recipes of the delicious, make-me-now variety.

I ALSO enjoy reading blogs that talk about lots of things I'm interested in: Food. DIY projects and crafts.  Decorating. Clothes.  

Crafts and Recipes and DIY, OH MY

Sugar and Charm: I LOVE the tone of this blog: cheerful, bright, pretty without being twee.  
Elise Blaha: I'm almost sad to share Elise with y'all because I want to be friends with her and you're just going to be competition.  She's a goal-setter who does neat things with food, fitness and DIY (although she's expecting, so a little lighter on the fitness currently).  She also is a part of Project Life and, in addition to the kit she produced for them, she shares tons of tips and ideas, plus photos of her personal project every week. 
Craftzine:  Crafty things from around the web, I feel like I don't miss any great ideas following their stream. 

Honorable Mentions:

Hostess With the Mostess: THE place to search when you're throwing any sort of party, big or small.

Am I missing your favorite?  Come on now, I shared Elise with you- I think this means you owe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment