Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Alyssa's Chipotle-Lime Popcorn

If I could do anything with my life, I would love to own a little popcorn shop.  I would sell both traditional and fun flavors, make gourmet popcorn balls and wrap it all up in beautiful packaging.  The popcorn would be unique gifts or favors and would make movie night extra-special. The shop would have a vintage movie theater feel, or maybe an old-fashioned soda fountain theme.  But mostly, the popcorn would be delicious!


I like to play around with flavors and experiment with combinations, and my guilty-pleasure flavor is truffle oil with Parmesan cheese.  It’s a classic combination that’s been done over and over again, so I won’t bore you with that as my “recipe” for this week.  My other favorite, however, is applewood-smoked sea salt and chipotle.  It’s smoky (almost bacon-y), spicy, citrus spiked, and completely addictive!
First, pop your favorite kernels.  I love Rancho Gordo Crimson kernels on the stovetop in olive oil.  They pop up snowy white and fluffy, with hardly any unpopped kernels left in the pot.  Unfortunately, they are also hard to come by these days!  The company sells out every year.  If you haven’t experienced this popcorn yet (and you somehow manage to get your hands on some), don’t do it.  I’m not just saying this because I want it all to myself; you will never be able to stomach the microwave popcorn variety once you try this stuff.  It will ruin all other popcorn for you, and I can’t have that on my conscience!
Once the kernels have popped, add a squeeze of lime, smoked sea salt and chipotle.  Shake the pot a little to distribute the seasoning, taste, and adjust the flavors accordingly.  There’s no magic ratio.  It depends on your personal taste, how spicy you’re feeling that day, and how salty you like your popcorn.  Just remember, you can always add more chipotle if it’s not spicy enough, so don’t go overboard.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment