Thursday, February 14, 2013

Carla's Favorite 15 Minute Walk: The San Francisco Ferry Building

This week we're featuring some of our favorite 15 minute walks and if you haven't read Alyssa's post on Yoyogi Park, you should probably do that now.  Immediately!  Japanese Danny Zuko video!  Dogs in coats!  Mickey Mouse!  I've said too much...

If you were to try to get me to go for a walk and I only had 30 minutes and I was at work, there is only place I would choose, hands down: the San Francisco Ferry Building.  The little hub is just over a mile from my office and a great destination for mid-day snacks or lunch or a little light shopping.  Let's go!


Here we are, leaving the office.  That's the Bay Bridge (not the Golden Gate, which I'm pretty sure confuses people who are visiting the area.  Although we're surrounded by tons of water, I think it's disorienting that we have this other non-orange pretty bridge on the bay side of San Francisco).  This big street we're about to cross is Embarcadero.  It runs along the SF piers, from AT&T Park down to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf (where you'll want to get your crabs).


From there we'll pass this super cute fire station.  I have never SEEN an actual fireman, but the building is pretty and they have this shiny truck AND a shiny tugboat/fire engine hybrid:


These little metal sea creatures dot all the benches along the Embarcadero as you walk down.  I hear they're super annoying to people who are skateboarding (or trying to get a nap in), but I find them cute and charming.

There are minimally two big art installations you'll see along the way: this massive bow and arrow and a shiny metal space station when you get nearer.


It's tiny in the next picture, but since we're almost there, you can see the sculpture coming up on the left!


The Ferry Building has three types of shopping: Farmer's Markets (which operate in various sizes on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday), retail stores and market stalls.


The day I shot these photos, a new juice bar had just opened!  The people are VERY excited, there's quite a crowd.


For my first favorite shop, visit the Cowgirl Creamery.  The Ferry Building houses two locations, both a cheese shop and a cafe with cheesy products.  I can HIGHLY recommend the cheese plates at the cafe, along with their Grilled Cheese Special of the Day.



You can't miss it, but check out the ceiling!  (You'll notice the lighting is different for every stop along the way- the ceiling lets in tons of light along the central corridor.)


Now I'm going to get to the real reason I usually head here on lunch breaks: Out the Door.  This tiny little store carries quick versions of favorites from the fancy restaurant Slanted Door, a favorite Vietnamese place beloved by many.  If you want to head over for some sit down service, they're just around the corner, but I love picking up... black tea boba.  I know, I know, that's not food.  But I usually pair it with... something.



That's the boba there on the left.  I know the purpose of this post isn't to tell you about the perfection in that cup, but I HAVE TO.  There are both green tea and black tea versions, both which are not-too-sweet with boba that's tender and cooked to perfection.  Please try one.  You'll thank me.

Those fancy little vases on the right are from a shopping favorite, Heath Ceramics.  The stall stocks a ton of their dishes and home options plus those Weck canning jars (which I will one day actually buy to learn to can things).

On a sunny day, be careful not to get too trampled:


That huge line on the left? COFFEE, what else?  Blue Bottle is yummy, strong, and made to order.  You should try that (after your boba) and then check out their pastry selection.  On a great day, they carry simple sandwiches of baguette, cheese and butter.  (Yup, that HAS been lunch.)


Blue Bottle's seating area is unpredictable, but you can see (on the left) that it's sleek and pretty, plus perched right on a corner where you can do some excellent people watching.  (Check out that Taza Mexican Hot Chocolate I mentioned in my last post! It was there the whole time!)

El Porteno Alfajores.  Always a good thing.  They sell these alongside amazing Argentinian empanadas and those suckers are GOOD.


Gl Alfieri Nuts.  A great snack or dessert.  They set up a stall outside with nuts and dried fruit occasionally on Market Days, but you can find their stall inside for a daily fix.


Before we leave, let's cover some un-pictured must sees:

il Carne Rosso: Alyssa introduced me to their egg salad sandwich and I've never looked back.  Their food takes a bit longer than a lot of the stalls outside on Market Days, but it's incredibly worth it.

Delica: A great stop for any vegan and vegetarian friends (and for those of us who aren't), this Japanese Deli allows you to pick lots of small dishes to comprise your meal.  Yummy.

Acme Bread: Just some of the best darn bread. Try a cheese roll!  CASH ONLY.

The Pena Pachamama stand seems to have closed recently, but if you see them (or their product at the Buyer's Best Friend stall, which is new and currently located across from the Sur La Table) BUY THEIR KALE CHIPS.  They are the best darn kale chips you'll ever eat.

(Buyer's Best Friend also stocks Dang Foods Coconut Chips.  You need to get some of those too.)

And now it's back to the office. (The walk back is always a little bit harder. At least I can go back tomorrow.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the ferry building! I will have to try that boba tea.

    ReplyDelete